March Madness (Flight Attendant Style)

I’m sorry if you were expecting a rant about college basketball. Instead, my March Madness will include what happened in my crazy flight attendant life during the whole month of March since I’m slacking on this whole blog space (again).

March was full of adult-ing. Lots and lots of adult-ing. I took my car in for an emissions test, renewed my licence plate sticker so I can drive my car for another year, got my documents in check so I can rent my very own grown apartment come June, picked out a couch for said apartment, and then proceeded to have a small breakdown about how much adult-ing I still have left do to. Wowie!

Now, that being said I did manage to cram in some fun stuff during the month. Work wasn’t as busy for me as it was in February so it was nice to have somewhat of a breather. This post is going to be all over the map (sorry!) so bear with me as I travel down my March timeline with you!

I finally got myself some new glasses! This may seem like it should belong with my adult-ing list of things I had to get done but I just love getting new glasses. I get so excited picking out new frames, I know, I’m a nerd. This time around, I tried a new company called Warby Parker and let me tell you – there is no going back! I went into the store and told the sales woman what type of frame I was aiming for and (maybe) 15 minutes later I was walking out of the store successfully. They do custom make the frames and lenses for you so unfortunately you don’t walk right out of the store strutting your stuff with new glasses on your face. I waited about 6 days and they were shipped right to my front door. The whole process was so incredibly easy, I was amazed!


Earlier in the month, Lauren and I had our very own paint night at home in bed with chick flicks on in the background. Now, I know paint nights accompanied by wine is the newest thing to do BUT I highly recommend having it in your pjs at home with your best friend, it was much more enjoyable. BONUS: I now have flowers that I can keep alive with my flight attendant life!


Next, Stefan and I managed to make it to Ottawa together to see my family. This time was extra special because Stefan was finally going to meet my (not so) little brother. Now, I don’t know if any of you guys have siblings, but I have the absolute best brother. He’s wise beyond his years, funny as could be, and also the gate keep to my heart (aside from my dad of course). This meeting was the final step in Stefan getting the seal of approval into the family. Stefan and I, as well as my brother, my dad, my step-mom, and my grandparents all went out for dinner to our favourite Vietnamese restaurant and everyone got along perfectly. I didn’t have any doubt that my 15-year-old brother would give his seal of approval for my 31-year-old boyfriend but it’s nice to know that it’s there.


One of my favourite parts of my job is interacting with little kids on the plane. Whether it’s a newborn baby, a 4-year-old, or a 9-year-old, I just love kids. I get the sense that travelling with young ones is not the easiest thing to do. So, I like to give parents a break when I can. During one of my flights I had a mother travelling by herself with her son – Tyler. Tyler is 4 years old and got stuck sitting across the aisle from his mother. He put up a bit of a fuss with her before he settled into his seat with an animal version of bingo. After everyone had boarded the plane I noticed the very back row of the plane that is usually reserved for flight attendant rest was open so I offered it to Tyler and his mom. It was barely a 2 hour flight so I knew the crew wouldn’t need a rest in that time. Instead, Tyler and his mom got to sit beside each other and play bingo without strangers walking up and down the aisle between them. A couple of minutes into the flight once I was out of my jump seat, I heard a call light go off. I made my way to the row to make sure everything was okay. I got greeted with this little blonde-haired-blue-eyed smile telling me thank you. Tyler passed me this little note before focusing back on the very intense game of bingo he had going with his mom. These are the moments I keep with me and remind myself of when I’m having a rough day or dealing with mean passengers. The world needs more Tyler’s’.


After working back to back pairings, I made my way to New York for a much-needed 4 days there. Stefan and I caught up with his best friend (also named Jackie – she’s pretty cool by default) while hanging out at the American Museum of Natural History and eating lunch in Central Park. Then we proceeded to eat ice cream. Lots and lots of ice cream. Anytime we’re together for a couple of days, we pretty much just spend that time catching up on sleep and eating. It’s a great thing we have going. We did happen to eat delicious artisanal ice cream 2 nights in a row so we had to run some of that off. As you may know from some of my other posts, Stefan runs marathons. I do not. That being said, somehow I got lured into running 6 km along the East River. I hate to admit how great it felt after eating more ice cream than you probably should in 48 hours. Also, with a view like this, how can you not be motivated to run?


I managed to get an LA layover to finish off the month of March. I didn’t bid for them so the scheduling gods must have known I needed a break. This was my last pairing of the month and I’m currently enjoying 2 weeks off of flying (woo!). Most of the crew had their own plans to visit friends and family so I was going to be on my own. This is exactly what I needed. Alone time in LA. We landed around 12:30 and slowly made our way to the hotel. Once I got to the hotel, I took some time to unwind and eat lunch before heading over to Manhattan Beach. I had to refer to my California expert (Stefan) on which beach was going to be the best option for NO CROWDS. I got to the beach around 2:30 and walked around while people watching. I stopped for an iced coffee (California necessity), wandered in and out of cute little boutiques, took myself out for fish and chips, went and looked out on the water from the pier, walked around some more, treated myself to ice cream (as if I didn’t already have enough), and then parked my butt on the beach and watched the sunset. I think people take alone days for granted. As much as I love socializing, I love to be in my own company wandering around a beach until I feel like I should go back and get some rest. It was a much-needed alone day at work.


Here’s to what April has to bring! Which is hopefully the real Spring…

– J


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s