This idea started 2 days ago as I was standing on the heated bathroom floors of my hotel in Winnipeg putting my face on for the day. Fast-forward 2 days later as I sit in my big comfy bed in St. Johns putting the idea into words. In reality, I will probably finish this sitting on my balcony at home in Toronto tomorrow but I’m trying guys! I have never been the girl that gets excited about the newest eye shadow palette being released but I have mastered the art of doing my eyebrows and winging my eyeliner so I’d like to think I’ve come a long way. With that being said, I thought it would be fun to share with you guys my process of transforming into the beautiful creature of the skies that is a flight attendant (insert sassy emoji here).
SKIN CARE: Let’s skip past the before picture of my freshly showered face and bags under my eyes so big that they should be sent to the over-sized baggage claim. BUT, I will start with my skin routine:
- I start with this little black pot of magical-ness that is filled with Ultrabland from LUSH. It is by far the best makeup remover I have found. It’s a cream cleanser that I can conveniently pack into this smaller container that will last me a solid month on the road.
- I follow-up with a gentle cleanser. I recently started using this guy I found at Winners for $9.99 and I’m in love. I use it before bed as well as in the morning. It smells like peppermint and make my skin feel like Christmas.
- In the morning I use the moisturizer above – CeraVe AM which has SPF 30 (there’s a PM version I use at night). DEAR HUMANS: PLEASE USE SUNSCREEN ON YOUR FACE. If there’s anything I’ve learned it’s that even when you can’t see the sun, the sun can see you. Protect your face.
- BONUS: Benzagel! This stuff is a life saver lately. I used to use this in high school until I thought I was to cool for acne. Then I turned 21 and the universe thought it would be funny to let me re-live my high school days and bless me with acne again. I generally only use this before bed unless I have a really bad breakout happening then I’ll dab some on before moisturizing in the morning.
HAIR: I still can’t figure this part out after 23 years of naturally curly hair so bear with me:
- I fill this little travel bottle with a hair oil treatment thingy. I can’t really remember the brand of this because I got it as a Christmas present 2 years ago but it’s lasted that long! A little bit of this stuff goes a long way. I put a bit in my hair right out of the shower focusing on the ends. *Update: I googled it enough until I found it! Apparently it’s a Macadamia Healing Oil.
- Thank you to the inventor of this mousse. This is the only mousse I have found that doesn’t leave my hair feeling crunchy. It lets me embrace my natural curls and it looks like whip cream when it comes out of the can so it’s a win-win situation.
FACE: Alright. No judgement here. I’m a very simple lady when it comes to makeup and the fact that I incorporated half of these things into my daily routine is a big step!
- I have become a full-blown adult woman because I use a primer on my face before putting on my makeup (insert round of applause here… thank you). Smashbox is the first fancy primer I have ever tried and I’m sold. A while ago I did a What’s In My Bag? post where I went over my makeup and a lot has changed since then including this primer. Flying for up to 14 hours a day is hard enough but not having to worry about my makeup melting off my face is a blessing.
- I start with Smashbox Studio Skin 15 Hour Wear foundation because A) it stays on my face for 15 hours and B) it hydrates my skin when I’m stuck in a dry plane. I use the Smashbox High Definition concealer. It’s oil free and covers up the redness of my blemishes like no other. Sometimes as and added bonus I touch up areas with Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse foundation. *I also bought one of those blender sponge things and it’s been a saviour.
- I cannot pull of blush if my life depended on it. One of best friends is the queen of wearing blush and I wish she would teach me her ways. She’s a beautiful creature go check her out at Yoga Travel Teach. I found this NYX ombre blush which has a more bronze feeling so it doesn’t make me look like a china doll.
- Part of becoming an adult meant shaping my eyebrows and filling them in with this wonderful tool by L’Oreal. It’s pretty self-explanatory. Brush on one side. Magical eyebrow transforming crayon on the other side. The best compliment Stefan ever gave me was that I was a good eater. The second best compliment he ever gave me was that my eyebrows looked great. That my friends is true love.
- For my eyes I start with a simple black eyeliner by CoverGirl and then I add to the effect with a liquid eyeliner by Elf. I wish I could explain how happy it makes me to perfect my winged eyeliner on the first try. This job has taught me many things and how to quickly apply liquid eyeliner is one of those things. My mascara is an ever-changing thing in my life but I’m currently using the Lashblast Volume by CoverGirl.
- If I’m feeling really flight attendant-y I will put on my lips. I use a lipstick cocktail with the Soft Matte Lip Cream by NYX (colour is San Paulo) and this little freebie Sephora sent me on my birthday which is a lip cream by Marc Jabobs (colour is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang).
BONUS ROUND: Just a couple of essentials that keep me alive while on the road.
- Recently, I gave up my usually deodorant for Tom’s which has no aluminum in it. My uniform shirts tend to irritate my arms if I have a long day and regular deodorant was just making things worse. I found this gem and somehow its magical Maine powers have helped my arms tremendously.
- I have also started using vaseline multiple times during the day for my nose. I am very prone to nosebleeds and this job definitely does not help. I keep it in my flight bag and apply it during flights as well in the morning and before bed. I pretty much always have vaseline in my nostrils.
- One days when I’m not feeling the lipstick I resort to my old trusty Burt’s Bees. This is their pomegranate one which is nice because it has a slight tint but is also super hydrating for long days in the plane.
If you’ve made it this far congrats! As a reward I give you a thumbs up for bearing with me as we get ready. Since I managed to finish this whole post before my report time, I must now go complete my transformation and put my uniform on and head to the airport.